If you’re wondering how you can get your home in tiptop shape for the market, I have seven preparatory tips for you today.
1. Declutter. If you haven’t already, consider following the advice of organization guru Marie Kondo. She’s written a few books on decluttering and living simply, and I’d be happy to send you some links if you’re interested. The fact is we live one way and sell another, so do away with built-up clutter before buyers see your home.
2. Have extra lightbulbs ready. I’m sure you know what it’s like to have one lightbulb go out, only to have three or four others burn out right after. During showings, you’ll want to keep your home well-lit, so have extra lightbulbs handy just in case.
3. Clean! Clean! Clean! Deep cleaning your home can seem like an insurmountable task given our busy schedules, but it’s a necessary part of your market preparation. We’d be happy to point you in the direction of some professionals who can give you a hand in the process.
4. Make an appointment with a handyman. We’re all guilty of neglecting to address small repairs in our home. Make a list of those items and bring a handyman in to make minor fixes where necessary.
5. Touch up paint. This is something you can ask your handyman to take care of, but look for areas in your home that could use a little touch-up paint.
6. Stage. Whether you choose to utilize the services of our on-staff stager or do it yourself, the name of the game is to stage your home so that it resembles a model home as much as possible.
7. Depersonalize. One way to do this is to take personal or family pictures off your walls, shelves, tabletops, etc. You want buyers’ attention to be on the house itself, so remove personal effects that could potentially be distracting.
If you have any questions or would like help getting your home market-ready, please give us a call at 901-729-9526 or send us an email at Melissa@YourKeyToMemphis.com. We’d love to help in any way we can!